As I’ve told you before, I love sweet potatoes. We eat them frequently, and in many ways, in our house. I love a baked sweet potato – but sometimes end up with an extra. I developed this recipe to make one baked sweet potato into a side dish for the 3 of us – Sweet Potato Patties with Black Beans.
Black beans are a great source of protein, and I wanted to add some to this to make it a hearty side. You could eat this as a main dish as well, and I sometimes do for lunch.
For this, I used a baked sweet potato that I had in the fridge. If you don’t have one of those on hand, you can just microwave a peeled sweet potato until soft.
Then, mash it up with a fork.
Add your seasonings.
Mix in your black beans.
Mix together some breadcrumbs and parmesan. I don’t measure this… I would say it’s about 1/4 c. of breadcrumbs and a couple tablespoons of cheese. You won’t use a lot of this at all. I just like it to get a bit of a crisp crust on the patty.
Make a patty with the sweet potato mixture and coat with breadcrumbs.
Cook on hot griddle until browned and “crisp”.
Note: These are mushy sweet potatoes – they aren’t actually going to be crispy. You are mostly forming a nice crust on the outside.
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan plus a bit extra
- Mash cooked sweet potato with a fork.
- Mix in paprika, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in cheese and beans.
- Mix together approximately 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- Form the sweet potato mixture into patties and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Cook patties in skillet until brown and crisp.