Have I mentioned that I love cheese? I do. My dearest friend hates cheese. It’s a miracle that our friendship has been able to survive this horrible personality trait that he possesses. So if I can make something that combines potatoes AND cheese – it’s basically perfection. Scalloped Potatoes to the rescue!
Sure, you can get these in a box and cook them in 20 minutes – but THESE are just so much more than that.
As an aside, the cheese sauce I make for this is one that I use for a lot of different things – casseroles, mac and cheese, etc. This recipe can be jazzed up with ham for a main dish, or you can add onions to add to the deliciousness.
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese + 1/4 c. for topping
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 large potatoes, sliced
- Layer the bottom of an 13x9 casserole dish with a layer of potatoes, slightly overlapping.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the flour, cooking until slightly brown and thick.
- Whisk in milk, 1/4 cup at a time, until smooth.
- Add cheese and stir. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pour 1/2 the cheese sauce over the layer of potatoes.
- Add a second layer of potatoes, overlapping slightly.
- Pour the remainder of the cheese sauce over the potatoes.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese and sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs until covered.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until golden and bubbly, approximately 25-35 minutes.