Today is Joe’s birthday, and I thought that it was a fitting day to tell you a little about the mister. To start, I should tell you that Joe is not the type to flaunt himself around or speak highly of himself, and the fact that I am about to sing his praises would turn him bright red.
Joe is my perfect compliment. Because of a deployment, Joe and I spent the beginning of our relationship getting to know each other via emails, skype, and other online means. It’s amazing how much you learn about a person when you are forced to communicate with them so much. When there is nothing to entertain yourself with but conversation – you can quickly tell if you’re going to want to keep talking to them. On a real date, you can distract yourself with any number of observations. By the time he got back to the States, I felt like I had known him much longer than I actually had.
I have struggled with insecurity my entire life. I have often felt that there was a laundry list about myself that I would change at every given opportunity – and never truly felt that I was good enough. But something about Joe was able to crack that little shell I kept around me that I hid inside of.
It wasn’t always easy – When I tried to push him away, he pulled me closer. When I tried to convince him that he could do better, he tried to convince me otherwise. When I pointed out the things that he could have with others, he pointed out that none of them were me.
So now, before I get carried away with all the mushy, gushy, love stuff, I would like to present my list…
Ten Things I Love About Joe
1. He does most of the laundry and all the vacuuming.
2. He always reaches out to take my hand – whether we are walking, riding in the car, or sitting on the couch.
3. He can turn my mood around in no time. No matter how grumpy I am, he can say something or do something silly to snap me out of it and make me laugh.
4. We don’t argue. We have had a few disagreements over the years, but we resolve them quickly and move past them.
5. He gets on board with my crazy ideas and schemes and is more than willing to try new things. He also isn’t afraid to admit when he is wrong, or when he has changed his mind about something.
6. He supports me. He gives me encouragement to fulfill my dreams. Pushes me when I need it, and is just an ear when I need to vent.
7. He rubs my head at night because it’s my favorite thing to fall asleep to.
8. He is secretly sensitive and sweet. He pretends that he isn’t, but he is. He would do anything he could to help someone, and never intentionally tries to hurt anyone’s feelings.
9. He loves Pickle like his own. The first time I heard him refer to her as his daughter, I teared up and couldn’t believe how lucky I was to find a man who could truly love her like she was his own.
10. “Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” – Emily Bronte
Roll your eyes if you will, but I feel blessed every single day that I have this man in my life, and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life adding to the list of things I love about him.