Joe loves Chocolate Lava Cakes, and I am not a baker. This is a problem that he asked if I would remedy – so I took to the search for a recipe I could work with. First, I didn’t want a 2849308 long ingredient list. I also didn’t want to have to put too much effort into it because, again, I’m not a baker. And if I could avoid having to use a mixer, that would be great too.
I found the perfect one in this one from Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman. I altered the recipe to suit our tastes and the ingredients I had on hand. The husband said it was delicious, and Pickle said, “This is the best cake ever. I mean literally.” So consider that a resounding endorsement.
This was so unbelievably simple, I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to make these and now that I have, I can see them being the perfect thing to pop in the oven when you want some ooey gooey chocolate.
This is likely what heaven looks like… a bowl full of butter and chocolate. Melt the butter in the microwave (about a minute) and then wisk until the chocolate melts.
Keep wisking until all the chocolate is mixed in and melted.
Stir in your powdered sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Then your flour.
Spoon this into well buttered ramekins – this recipe used 6 4 oz. ramekins which is the perfect size, in my opinion. Bake for approximately 13 minutes, allow to sit for 2 minutes, then invert onto a plate.
Seeing that circle of ooey goodness right there in the middle made me very excited. Top with powdered sugar (if you want) and serve with ice cream (or whipped cream. or not. This is desert. Do your thing!)
Right?? Warm, runny, dark chocolate. Doesn’t get much better than that.
- 1 stick of butter plus extra for greasing ramekins
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease ramekins with butter and place on baking sheet.
- Put butter and chocolate chips into a bowl and microwave until the butter melts (1 minute).
- Wisk the chocolate and butter until the chocolate is melted.
- Stir powdered sugar into butter and chocolate.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in flour.
- Spoon batter into ramekins and bake for 13 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Turn the ramekin upside down onto a plate.
- Top with desired toppings and serve warm.