I love a casserole. I know that in many foodie circles, admitting a love of a casserole is about as bad as admitting to liking cheese in a can, but by golly they are delicious! As a working mom, casseroles are great because I can usually assemble them the night before, and then just throw them in the oven when I get home from a busy day at work. Also, they freeze well… and I love being able to go to the freezer and pull out family favorites that require zero effort to enjoy.
Chicken Spaghetti is a recipe that I have seen about a dozen variations on, from all over the web. The recipe that I used as my inspiration was one I found on Pinterest, and was originally posted on recipegirl.com. I don’t know why I have never made it before, but now that I have I wish I had tried it sooner.
I normally try to have a nice picture of the finished product on a plate for you… but when I made this recipe, my husband and stepson had just returned from a day out playing paintball and they were hungry men who didn’t want to wait to eat.
First… can I tell you how much I love these Recipe Ready bags?
This is just me giving you my opinion, here… if you haven’t grabbed these, you should. I always have a few in my freezer and they make my life so easy! Fresh peppers seem to be rather pricey in this area, and these are perfect whenever you have a recipe that calls for peppers and onions.
Start by cooking peppers and onions in a skillet with a little butter (or oil, your choice).
Mix together 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 cup of milk.
Dump the soup mixture into the peppers. Yes, it’s not pretty. But it will be tasty… trust me. Add seasoning here – salt & pepper to taste. You can also add crushed red pepper if you’d like to kick up the spice.
Add 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar to the pan.
Add 2 cups of cooked chicken (I used leftovers).
Add 1/2 box of spaghetti, cooked.
Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. As you can see, I used a few. This will fit in one large casserole pan, but I used two smaller pans (one for dinner, one for the freezer), and one individual serving to send back to the Air Force dorm with my stepson.
Top with 1/2 cup of Colby/Monterrey Jack Blend and bake at 350 until cheese is melted and golden.
Everyone loved it and I’m sure you will too.
- 1/2 cup sliced red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chicken, cooked
- 1/2 box of Spaghetti, cooked
- 1/2 cup colby/monterrey jack blend (or cheddar)
- Prepare spaghetti noodles per package instructions and set aside.
- Sautee onion and peppers in a large skillet.
- Mix soup and milk together and then pour into skillet with peppers and onions.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Add chicken and spaghetti. Mix together.
- Pour mixture into greased casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and golden. Approximately 15-20 minutes.