A few years ago, I remember teasing my friend Amy about the fact that I saw that she had pinned multiple versions of a chicken, broccoli & rice casserole on Pinterest. She said that she was just trying to find the “right” one. For me, there is no “right” one, because I don’t really like broccoli. I know, even preschoolers like broccoli, and to be fair, I do eat it… I just don’t look forward to it. But I’m clearly in the minority, even in my household. This Chicken & Rice Casserole is perfect because it’s not too focused on the little trees.
This is a great way to use up some leftovers, and works great with leftover chicken or cheat like I usually do and get a rotisserie chicken on your way home. It’s my go to when I have some leftover rice from Chinese take out or another meal.
I cook this in a 3 qt dutch over, but any oven proof pot or skillet would work.
Add olive oil to the pan to heat. Then add 3 chopped green onions and garlic. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes or until the onions soften.
Add broccoli and tomatoes to the pan with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken.
Then add the cooked rice. Mix in sour cream and half & half.
Add the cheese and stir it all up. Bake this at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Remember, everything is cooked – we are just melting cheese and incorporating ingredients.
Top with the remaining cheese and green onion. Put under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
This is also great with bell peppers and mushrooms!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 8 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In oven proof skillet or pot, heat olive oil. Add 3/4 of the green onions and garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add broccoli, tomatoes, salt & pepper, chicken, and rice.
- Mix in the sour cream, half & half, and 1/2 of the cheeses.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on.
- Top with remaining cheese and green onion. Put under the broiler for 3 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and brown.